Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Stuff bouncing around in my head

This week I have been spending time and energy thinking about the herbs I am trying to grow in a greenhouse kit that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I planted two rows of basil (each row is 8 plants), a row of thyme, a row of oregano and two rows of lavender. Everything is doing great except the lavender. My plants are just starting to pop up from the peet and since my house is surrounded by trees, the sunlight getting to my poor babies is lacking. Therefore, I have decided to buy 1-2 grow lights this weekend and install them into my basement so that my little herbs can grow! Here is a link to a similar set-up that I am implementing this weekend.

I am also thinking about vermicomposting (creating your own organic compost with the help of red wiggler worms. I have a few books from the library that I requested and have done quite a bit of research to the care that goes into your worms. You can find information on vermicomposting here.

Exercise and weight loss has also been on my mind. Stephen and I have been going to our local YMCA to exercise 3x a week for a week now. And although this sounds a bit premature, I feel like my body is already starting to feel like it's a habit. My goal is to lose a dress size (or around 5-7 pounds) before my wedding in the fall. It's weight that I acquired while at my current job (my co-worker and I go downstairs to the bookstore to get snacks a few times a day) and from stress. I have really tried to be more aware of how many calories I eat and try to avoid soda, chocolate and heavy foods. When you get off an elliptical machine and see that you have only burned 210 calories it makes you think twice about drinking a can of soda (Sprite has about 100 calories in one can!)!!

I have also been thinking about health issues because my mother and one of my closest friends are struggling to quit smoking. My mother's last cigarette was last Friday afternoon and she is going cold turkey. I, personally, think that she should go see a doctor or look into a support group but I know she probably won't. My family members are very focused on keeping things in and not seeking as much help as I wish they would. I am very grateful that my mother is taking this step towards making herself more healthy and hope that she succeeds.

Anyways, I better get back to work!

0 comments:

Popular Posts

Pages

Labels

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Follow me on Twitter